Just a comment. If I'm reading you correctly, there is some confusion about
xml and xsl.

Xml is the data that is in the tree structure. Yes, this is often created
dynamically by extracting data from a source (often a database) and
enclosing it
in the hierarchical XML tags.

XSL is the style sheet which is used to transform the XML into an HTML page.
This can be
called in an HTML page I believe so you do not have to use JSP. However, you
would not
really want to generate your XSL dynamically because you want the results to
be consistent,
I would think, and just the data to be dynamic. If you have multiple
displays that you want
to enable, probably using several XSL files that are called based on a logic
switch would work.

Alternatively, you can have the XML data drive the display, for example,
within the XSL you can
state that if there are more than 3 entries within a tag, you want to
display "..." instead of
crowding the page with too much data. And then provide a link to another
page that would provide
the details just for that tag.

Hope this helps,
Margaret