> We (and our clients) are running JDK 1.3. JDK 1.4 add a very use function
> replaceAll which replaces substrings. Is the source for the JDK available
> anywhere or does anyone have something equivalent they wouldn't mind
> sharing?

I'm not sure if you can download JDK 1.4 yet, but there are many
excellet regexp packages which will do the same thing.  One which is
not very powerful but easy to use for simple things is the Apache
regexp package: http://jakarta.apache.org/regexp/index.html.  It has
all the features you need for most ordinary stuff and it's the easiest
of all the packages.