I bought my new laptop for two reasons:

1. Keyboard stopped working (main reason)
2. My recent use of IntelliJ causes too much disk swapping

InelliJ is a Java IDe and consumes a shitload of RAM. My Sony laptop never
did much disk swapping because it had 256MB ram. That is, until I started
using IntellJ. Whenever my laptop started doing disk swapping I would go to
task manager and sure enough IntelliJ was using 50 to 100 MB of memory. So,
I just said to my self that Java IDE's are all just memory pigs. After all
JBuilder and Sun's Forte/NetBeans are even MORE memory hogs than IntelliJ.

So when I got my XP Toshiba the only program that didn't work was Morpeus.
And I can't live without that. So I started using LimeWire, a really cool
Java Swing based Gnutella client. I really like LimeWire. It's much more
polished than morpeus. However, after using it my disk swapping came back.
Fuck! I have a brand new laptop with 512MB of RAM and it's freaking disk
swapping. This pisses me off. Looking into task manager, I find LimeWire is
almost as much of a memory hog as IntelliJ.

So in short, my 512MB of RAM has gained me nothing for (i think) two
reasons:

1. Forced to use limewire instead of morpheus.
2. XP is more of a memory hog than win2000 (i think i can turn shit off but
i'm not sure)

I am now pissed off that i spent all this time and money and still have
excessive disk swapping.  Here some questions I have:

Does XP use more memory than win2000?
Are LimeWire and IntelliJ poorly written applications or is Swing a memory
hog?

Something to think about if you'll be developing swing apps.