If Tomcat 4.0 is running on a system called COMP1 with a project named PROJ1, we would run the project in the following manner right?

Instead of having the above as the address, could I have something like http://mydomain/PROJ1/index.htm

Thanks a lot in advance

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: QUESTION ON APACHE / TOMCAT

Sorry, but thats incorrect.

Tomcat is a servlet engine, also referred to as a servlet container. This means that it is an application server which serves up your jsp/servlets.

Tomcat also has its own webserver integrated which runs by default on port 8080 for tomcat 3X and (I think) 8081 for tomcat 4X. You can change the port to 80 with version 3 or 4 but I think with 3 you need to run Tomcat as root.

The only reason you'd need to use tomcat with apache is if your site has a lot of static files ( straight html and images) since apache will serve this content marginally faster. Also, if your site includes some perl say, you might want to use apache for its perl support, and hook it up to Tomcat for your jsp/servlets.

If your webapp is mainly dynamic jsp pages/servlets and you dont need perl or php support theres no need to use apache _and_ Tomcat, Tomcat can do everyhting you need on its own.

Hope this helps

paul