I am attempting to add "cart" funtionality to my site.

I have a page that displays multiple repeating records (that were selected from the
perfectly.

Now, into the same repeating row in the form, I want to place an "ADD TO CART" button
that when pressed:
1)adds the specific record ID to a persistent "cart" string variable
2)and then places a checkmark into a checkbox for that record

I have spontaneously typed some code, which I'm sure is mostly wrong, but it gives you
an idea of the variable names, etc:

//NEW "CART" PERSISTENT VARIABLE
session.setAttribute("String rsBeachwear__cart,'Cart is Empty'"); //default cart
variable value

//NEW CART BUTTON
<input type="submit" name="butCart" value="Add to Cart"
onclick="form.action=(((
  rsBeachwear_cart = rsBeachwear.getObject("ID"))==null ||
rsBeachwear.wasNull())?"":rsBeachwear_cart)%>>

//NEW ADDED-TO-CART CHECKBOX
 Was This Record Added to Cart?
 <input type="checkbox" name="cbCart" value="checkbox">