Hello,

I am using IIS to render webservice alone, the jsp
service is taken care of by Tomcat.

Kalyan.

 --- Omar Elprince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Hello,
> I don't get it ... why you made a virtual directory
> although you are using
> jsp wich is not compatable with IIS or frontpage
> extentions.
> Regards
>

> >From: Kam Premkumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: Urgent : Tomcat - IIS configuration
> >Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:57:47 -0600
> >From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri, 28 Dec
> 2001 07:58:11 -0800
> >Sender: A mailing list about Java Server Pages
> specification and reference
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >Some time back in this mail list some body
> forwarded this url for iis
> >tomcat configuration. I attached the page with this
> mail. Hope it will help
> >
> >Thanks
> >Prem
> >

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>I have a problem when I try to deploy my
> application
> >>using Tomcat & IIS.
> >>
> >>My requirement is that I need to install different
> >>applications using the same IIS - Tomcat (single
> >>instance) setup.
> >>
> >>So, in order to facilitate this, instead of making
> the
> >>IIS default website's Home Directory to point to
> my
> >>application, I have created a virtual directory in
> IIS
> >>which points to my application files in
> >>"D:/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3/webapps/applicationname".
> >>
> >>This seems to pose a problem where in my .jsp
> files
> >>wherever  I refer root directory (eg. /Images etc.
> >>),it refers to the path given in IIS default
> website's
> >>home directory (C:/inetpub/wwwroot)
> >>
> >>My application files are under
> >>webapps/applicationname/ and not directly under
> >>webapps/root/.
> >>
> >>I am not sure if this is a configuration problem
> with
> >>IIS or Tomcat! I am using microsoft windows 2000
> >>professional.
> >>
> >>Would appreciate any help in the regard.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Kalyan.

> body: "signoff
> >>JSP-INTEREST".
> >>For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
> body: "set JSP-INTEREST
> >>DIGEST".
> >>Some relevant FAQs on JSP/Servlets can be found
> at:
> >>
> >>  http://archives.java.sun.com/jsp-interest.html
> >>  http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/faq.html
> >>  http://www.esperanto.org.nz/jsp/jspfaq.jsp
> >>  http://www.jguru.com/faq/index.jsp
> >>  http://www.jspinsider.com

> http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

<HR>

<head>
<title>Tomcat IIS HowTo</title>
</head>

<h1>Tomcat IIS HowTo</h1>

cooperate with Tomcat.
Normally IIS can not execute Servlets and Java Server
Pages (JSPs),
configuring IIS to use the Tomcat redirector plugin
will let IIS send servlet
and JSP requests to Tomcat (and this way, serve them
to clients). </p>

<h2>Document Conventions and Assumptions</h2>

tomcat. Your Tomcat
installation should have the following subdirectories:

<ol>
  <li>&lt;tomcat_home&gt;\conf - Where you can place
various configuration files</li>
  <li>&lt;tomcat_home&gt;\webapps - Containing example
applications </li>
  <li>&lt;tomcat_home&gt;\bin - Where you place web
server plugins </li>
</ol>

&lt;tomcat_home&gt; will be c:\jakarta-tomcat.</p>

that accepts work from the IIS
server.</p>

<h2>Supported Configuration</h2>

on:

<ol>
  <li>WinNT4.0-i386 SP4/SP5/SP6a (it should be able to
work on other
  versions of the NT service pack.) and Win98 </li>
  <li>IIS4.0 and PWS4.0 </li>
  <li>Tomcat3.0 - Tomcat3.2</li>
</ol>

to the Tomcat
containers. There is also an option to use Tomcat in
process, more about the
in-process mode can be found in the <a
href="in-process-howto.html">in process
howto.</a></p>

<h2>Installation</h2>

redirector server plugin,
<tt>isapi_redirect.dll</tt>, is available under the
win32/i386 directory where you
downloaded the <a
href="http://jakarta.apache.org/downloads/binindex.html";>
Tomcat binary distribution.</a> For those using
Netscape as your browser, try
downloading a zip version of the file, if available.
There can be problems using
Netscape to download DLL files.</p>

in Tomcat's source
distribution.</p>

<ol>
  <li>isapi_redirect.dll - The IIS server plugin,
either obtain a pre-built
  DLL or build it yourself (see the build
section).</li>
  <li>workers.properties - A file that describes the
host(s) and port(s) used
  by the workers (Tomcat processes). A sample
<tt>workers.properties</tt> can
  <li>uriworkermap.properties - A file that maps
URL-Path patterns to
  workers. A sample <tt>uriworkermap.properties</tt>
can be found under the
</ol>

<ol>
  <li>Configuring the ISAPI redirector with a default
/examples context and
  checking that you can serve servlets with IIS.</li>
  <li>Adding more contexts to the configuration.</li>
</ol>

<h3>Configuring the ISAPI Redirector</h3>

isapi_redirect.dll is placed in
c:\jakarta-tomcat\bin\win32\i386\isapi_redirect.dll
and that you created the properties
files are in c:\jakarta-tomcat\conf.</p>

<ol>
  <li>In the registry, create a new registry key named
    <tt>&quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache
Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
    Redirector\1.0&quot;</tt></li>
  <li>Add a string value with the name
<tt>extension_uri</tt> and a value of
    /jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll</li>
  <li>Add a string value with the name
<tt>log_file</tt> and a value pointing
    to where you want your log file to be (for example
  <li>Add a string value with the name
<tt>log_level</tt> and a value for
    your log level (can be <tt>debug</tt>,
  <li>Add a string value with the name
<tt>worker_file</tt> and a value which
    is the full path to your workers.properties file
(for example

  <li>Add a string value with the name
<tt>worker_mount_file</tt> and a value
    which is the full path to your
uriworkermap.properties file (for example

  <li>Using the IIS management console, add a new
virtual directory to your
    IIS/PWS web site. The name of the virtual
directory must be jakarta. Its
        physical path should be the directory where
you placed isapi_redirect.dll
        (in our example it is
c:\jakarta-tomcat\bin\win32\i386). While creating this
new
        virtual directory assign it with execute
access.</li>
  <li>Using the IIS management console, add
isapi_redirect.dll as a filter
    in your IIS/PWS web site. The name of the filter
should reflect its task
        (I use the name jakarta), its executable must
be our

<tt>c:\jakarta-tomcat\bin\win32\i386\isapi_redirect.dll</tt>.
For PWS, you'll need
        to use regedit and add/edit the "Filter DLLs"
key under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters.
This key
        contains a "," separated list of dlls ( full
paths ) - you need to insert the
        full path to isapi_redirect.dll.</li>
  <li>Restart IIS (stop + start the IIS service), make
sure that the
    jakarta filter is marked with a green up-pointing
arrow. <br>(costin)Under Win98 you may
    need to cd WINDOWS\SYSTEM\inetsrv and type PWS
/stop ( the DLL and log files are locked -
    even if you click the stop button, PWS will still
keep the DLLs in memory. ). Type pws
    to start it again.
 </li>
</ol>

to serve you the /examples context.
Try <a
href="http://localhost/examples/jsp/index.html";>http://localhost/examples/jsp/index.html</a>
for example and execute some of the JSP examples.  If
this does not work successfully,
refer to the <a
href="#troubleshoot">Troubleshooting</a> section below
for help
on correcting the problem.</p>

<h3>Adding additional Contexts</h3>

installation, but you will also need
to add your own contexts. Adding a new context
requires two operations:

<ol>
  <li>Adding the context to Tomcat (I am not going to
talk about this).</li>
  <li>Adding the context to the ISAPI redirector.</li>
</ol>

all you need to do is to edit your
<tt>uriworkermap.properties</tt> and to add a line
that looks like: </p>

workers.properties, by default workers.properties
comes with a single pre-configured worker named
&quot;ajp12&quot; so you can use it. As an
example, if you want to add a context named
&quot;shop&quot;, the line that you should add

restart IIS and it will serve the new context.</p>

<tt>uriworkermap.properties-auto</tt> is
automatically written each time Tomcat is started.
This file includes settings
for each of the contexts that Tomcat will serve during
its run. Each context
has settings to have Tomcat handle servlet and JSP
requests, but by default static
content is left to be served by IIS.  Each context
also has a commented out setting
to have Tomcat handle all requests to the context.
You can rename this file (so it won't
be overwritten the next time Tomcat is started) and
uncomment this setting or make
other customizations.  You may also use this file as
is in your <tt>worker_mount_file</tt>
setting.</p>

<h2>Building the redirector</h2>

Ver.6.0, so having this environment is a
prereq if you want to perform a custom build.</p>

<ol>
  <li>Change directory to the isapi plugins source
directory.</li>
  <li>Execute the following command:<br>
    If msdev is not in your path, enter the full path
to msdev.exe</li>
</ol>

the redirector plugin. </p>

file (isapi.dsw) in msdev and build
it using the build menu.</p>

<h2>How does it work? </h2>

<ol>
  <li>The IIS-Tomcat redirector is an IIS plugin
(filter + extension), IIS load the redirector
    plugin and calls its filter function for each
in-coming request. </li>
  <li>The filter then tests the request URL against a
list of URI-paths held inside
    <tt>uriworkermap.properties</tt>, If the current
request matches one of the entries in the list of
    URI-paths, the filter transfer the request to the
extension.</li>
  <li>The extension collects the request parameters
and forwards them to the appropriate
    worker using the ajp12 protocol.</li>
  <li>The extension collects the response from the
worker and returns it to the browser.</li>
</ol>

<h2>Advanced Context Configuration</h2>

pages (html, gif, jpeg etc.) even
if these files are part of a context served by Tomcat.
For example, consider the html and
gif files in the examples context, there is no need to
serve them from the Tomcat process,
IIS will suffice.</p>

Tomcat contexts requires the
following:

<ol>
  <li>Configuring IIS to know about the Tomcat
contexts</li>
  <li>Configuring the redirector to leave the static
files for IIS</li>
</ol>

addition of a new IIS virtual directory
that covers the Tomcat context. For example adding a
/example IIS virtual directory that
covers the c:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\examples
directory. </p>

will need to specify the exact
URL-Path pattern(s) that you want Tomcat to handle
(usually only JSP files and servlets).
This requires a change to the
<tt>uriworkermap.properties</tt>. For the examples
context it
requires to replace the following line:</p>

/examples/servlet/*=ajp12 </tt></p>

explicit, it actually instruct the
redirector to redirect only requests to resources
under <tt>/examples/servlet/</tt> and
resources under <tt>/examples/ </tt>whose name ends
with <tt>.jsp</tt>. This is
similar to what is automically written to the
<tt>uriworkermap.properties-auto</tt>
file for each context.</p>

such as:</p>

whose URL-Path equals
<tt>/example/servletname </tt>to the worker named
ajp12.</p>

<h3>Protecting the WEB-INF Directory</h3>

directory named WEB-INF, this
directory contains sensitive configurations data and
Java classes and must be kept hidden
from web users. Using the IIS management console it is
possible to protect the WEB-INF
directory from user access, this however requires the
administrator to remember that. To
avoid this need the redirector plugin automatically
protects your WEB-INF directories by
rejecting any request that contains WEB-INF in its
URL-Path.</p>

<h2>Advanced Worker Configuration</h2>

different Tomcat processes (for
example to spread the load among different machines).
To achieve such goal you will need
to define several workers and assign each context with
its own worker.</p>

<tt>workers.properties</tt>, this file includes
two types of entries:

<ol>
  <li>An entry that lists all the workers defined. For
example:<br>
  <li>Entries that define the host and port associated
with these workers. For example:<br>
    <tt>worker.ajp12.host=localhost<br>
    worker.ajp12.port=8007<br>
    worker.ajp12second.host=otherhost<br>
    worker.ajp12second.port=8007</tt></li>
</ol>

use these workers to serve two
different contexts each with its own worker. For
example look at the following

/webpages/*=ajp12second </tt></p>

ajp12 while the webpages context is
served by ajp12second.</p>

<h2><a name="troubleshoot">Troubleshooting</a></h2>

the first time you try to install
it.  If this happens to you, here are some steps to
follow to try to correct the
problem. These steps aren't guaranteed to cover all
possible problems, but they
should help find the typical mistakes.  If you make
any corrections during these
steps, restart the IIS service as described above in
the last step of the installation,
then retry the step.</p>

<tt>worker_mount_file</tt> setting points
to an unmodified copy of the uriworkermap.properties
file. Results may be misleading
if <tt>worker_mount_file</tt> points to a modified
uriworkermap.properties or
the uriworkermap.properties-auto file.  It is also
assumed that the "/examples"
context works correcly if you access Tomcat
directly.</p>

<h3>Win98</h3>

<ol>
  <li>Make sure web site activity is being logged.
For PWS 4.0 make sure
    &quot;Save Web Site Activity Log&quot; is checked
in the Advanced Options of
    the Personal Web Manager.</li>
  <li>Start the IIS service and Tomcat.</li>
  <li>Check for the presence of the ISAPI redirector
log file you specified in the
    <tt>log_file</tt> setting. If not found, check the
following:
    <ol type="A">
      <li>Check the &quot;Filter DLLs&quot; setting in
the

&quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters&quot;
        key and make sure the path is correct.</li>
      <li>Check the spelling of the
&quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software
        Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector\1.0&quot;
key. Case isn't important,
        but an incorrect letter will prevent the
isapi_redirect.dll from finding
        its registry settings.</li>
typos, name and data.  Also
        insure the directory in which the log file
will appear already exists.</li>
    </ol>
    If the above are set correctly, the ISAPI
redirector should be able to create
    the log file.</li>
  <li>Invoke the URL
&quot;http://localhost/examples/jsp/index.html&quot;
in your
    browser. Case is important in Tomcat 3.2.  The
characters following
    &quot;localhost&quot; in the URL must be lower
case. If the page fails to
    appear, stop the IIS service (required to view the
IIS log file).  Then
    examine the last line in the IIS log file in found
in SYSTEM/LogFiles/W3SVC1.
    <ol type="A">
      <li>If the last line contains: <tt>GET
&quot;/examples/jsp/index.html HTTP/1.1&quot;
404</tt>,
        then the ISAPI redirector is not recognizing
that it should be handling
        requests for the &quot;/examples&quot;
context. Check the following:
        <ol>
for typos.</li>
for typos, name and data.</li>
setting typos, name and data.</li>
        </ol>
        If these are set correctly, the ISAPI
redirector should recognize that it
        should handle requests for the
&quot;/examples&quot; context.</li>
      <li>If the last line contains something like:
<tt>GET &quot;/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll
        HTTP1.1&quot;</tt>, then the ISAPI redirector
is recognizing that it should
        handle the request, but is not successful at
getting Tomcat to service
        the request.
        <ol>
          <li>If the number following <tt>GET
&quot;/...&quot;</tt> is 404, check
            the following:
            <ol type="a">
              <li>Make sure you entered the URL
correctly.</li>
              <li>Make sure the virtual directory
created was called &quot;jakarta&quot;.
                It should display in Personal Web
Manager as &quot;/jakarta&quot;
                (without the quotes).</li>
data begins with
                &quot;/jakarta/&quot; (without the
quotes).</li>
            </ol></li>
          <li>If the number following <tt>GET
&quot;/...&quot;</tt> is 500, check
            the following:
            <ol type="a">
              <li>Make sure that
&quot;isapi_redirect.dll&quot; follows
                &quot;/jakarta/&quot; in the
              <li>Check the workers.properties file
and make sure the port setting for
                <tt>worker.ajp12.port</tt> is the same
as the port specified in the server.xml
                for the &quot;Apache AJP12
support&quot;.</li>
            </ol>
            </li>
          <li>If the number following <tt>GET
&quot;/...&quot;</tt> is 200 or 403,
            make sure you have checked Execute Access
for the jakarta virtual
            directory in the Advanced Options of the
Personal Web Manager.</li>
        </ol>
    </ol>
    If the above settings are correct, the index.html
page should appear in your
    browser.  You should also be able to click the
<b>Execute</b> links to
    execute the JSP examples.</li>
</ol>

<h3>WinNT</h3>

<ol>
  <li>Make sure web site activity is being logged.
For PWS 4.0  make sure
    &quot;Save Web Site Activity Log&quot; is checked
in the Advanced Options of
    the Personal Web Manager.</li>
  <li>Start the World Wide Web Publishing Service and
Tomcat.</li>
  <li>Check for the presence of the ISAPI redirector
log file you specified in the
    <tt>log_file</tt> setting. If not found, check the
following:
    <ol type="A">
      <li>Check the &quot;executable&quot; you set for
the filter in the IIS
        Management Console and make sure the path is
correct.</li>
      <li>Check the spelling of the
&quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software
        Foundation\Jakarta Isapi Redirector\1.0&quot;
key. Case isn't important,
        but an incorrect letter will prevent the
isapi_redirect.dll from finding
        its registry settings.</li>
typos, name and data.  Also
        insure the directory in which the log file
will appear already exists.</li>
    </ol>
    If the above are set correctly, the ISAPI
redirector should be able to create
    the log file.</li>
  <li>Check the jakarta filter you added and make sure
its status shows a green
    upward-pointing arrow. If not, check the
following:
    <ol type="A">
typos, name and data.</li>
typos, name and data.</li>
    </ol>
    If the above are set correctly, the green
upward-pointing arrow should appear,
    even if the other settings are wrong.</li>
  <li>Invoke the URL
&quot;http://localhost/examples/jsp/index.html&quot;
in your
    browser. Case is important in Tomcat 3.2.  The
characters following
    &quot;localhost&quot; in the URL must be lower
case. If the page fails to
    appear, examine the last line in the IIS server
log file in found in
    SYSTEM32/LogFiles/W3SVC1.
    <ol type="A">
      <li>The last line should contain something like:
<tt>GET &quot;/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll
        HTTP1.1&quot;</tt>, which indicates the ISAPI
redirector is recognizing
        that it should handle the request.
        <ol>
          <li>If the number following <tt>GET
&quot;/...&quot;</tt> is 404, check
            the following:
            <ol type="a">
              <li>Make sure you entered the URL
correctly.</li>
            </ol></li>
          <li>If the number following <tt>GET
&quot;/...&quot;</tt> is 500, check
            the following:
            <ol type="a">
              <li>Make sure the virtual directory
created was called &quot;jakarta&quot;.</li>
              <li>Make sure that the
              <li>Check the workers.properties file
and make sure the port setting for
                <tt>worker.ajp12.port</tt> is the same
as the port specified in the server.xml
                for the &quot;Apache AJP12
support&quot;.</li>
            </ol>
            </li>
          <li>If the number following <tt>GET
&quot;/...&quot;</tt> is 200 or 403,
            make sure you have checked Execute Access
for the jakarta virtual
            directory in the Advanced Options of the
Personal Web Manager.</li>
        </ol>
    </ol>
    If the above settings are correct, the index.html
page should appear in your
    browser.  You should also be able to click the
<b>Execute</b> links to
    execute the JSP examples.</li>
</ol>

<h2>Feedback</h2>