Merrill's right, this technique absolutely won't work because the most it
could do is get the username at the server, not the client.

Maybe if you're using IIS as your webserver, you could set the directory
security to enforce NT authentication, then see if the request has any
security-related headers.  I believe this works OK in ASP, not sure if I've
ever heard of anyone doing it with JSP.