Not sure if this is exactly relevant, but a couple of possibilities with a
similar problem.

1.  It could be the IE6 plus cookie security settings.  I saw some info about
this on the 'big moose' and dejanews mailing lists looking for Tomcat and
session and IE6.  However, we only get this problem with IE6 after applying a
security patch, without the patch IE6 retains it's session, with the patch we
get the same sort of behaviour as you describe.

2.  From my testing of our problem I found the following.

          - Using IE6 without patch with Tomcat 4 then session is retained
okay with jsp.
          - Using IE6 with the security patch and Tomcat 4 then session not
retained in a jsp, but it was using the Tomcat 4 demo session servlet.
          - Using Netscape 6 and Tomcat 4 session retained with jsp.
          - Using IE6 with the patch and resin as the app server then session
was retained okay.

I decided that it was a problem between Tomcat 4 and IE6 with the security
patch (my IE version is showing as 6.0.2600.0000, with update Versions:
Q313675; 3283;, the same IE version with update Versions:0 worked okay).  As
our users will be using IE5 and we have the option of switching the app server
to resin, then I stopped investigating at this point.  Although a swift look
on google showed a few people with similar sounding problems.

hth,

Mike

specification and reference <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>Hello,
>  I am facing a very interesting problem with Netscape6.1 and 6.2 version.
>I am having one applet which loads with a "AfterLogin.jsp" page in the Client
machine.Now

>When the Client cuts the Browser then in the "destroy()" method of the Applet
it initiates a

>SaveServlet class which is inside the JBoss-tomcat server.This servlet upon
invoke just save

>some datas in the database.The servlet uses one session value which I set in
jsp page after

>Login.
>Now the problem with Netscate 6.1 and 6.2 is that when the Servlet is invoked
and it

>retrieves the Session data it is getting "null".
>But with the same code the Servlet is getting the same Session value
correctly in case of

>lower versions of Netscape and with IE 5.0 or greater.
>It will be very helpful to me if anyone can enlight me why this is
happening..how could the

>Browser is invalidating the Application Session.
>
>One more thing is with Netscape 6.1 the Loading of Applet is throwing
Exception.
>Waiting for Reply.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Rajarshi Ghosh