Does anyone have any good references regarding developing a public internet login system that would allow a user to assign his/her own login name and password/pin.  I've spent all of my Java/JSP career doing internal intranet web sites for companies looking to disseminate information to their employee's, and/or internally within their own organizations.  Therefore, I have never really had to focus on the security issues surrounding a public internet site, and the issues surrounding new users to create their own user id's and passwords.

The server will be Windows 2000, using IIS 5.0 and JRUN 3.1 configured together to handle html and jsp pages.   If anyone has any good references or advice regarding what to do/what not to do while developing a public internet site, I would be grateful.  The gentleman I am doing this site for was hit hard by the events of Sept 11, and since he cannot afford to bring someone else on board who has this type of experience, he has asked me to do what I can for him.  This will be a "prototype" site that he will use to try and lure new prospective customers to his business.  Any advice or lessons learned regarding the development of this type web product, and the security issues surrounding a public web site and user login/password creation,  would also be appreciated.

My thanks in advance for all advice/suggestions/references.

Celeste Haseltine, PE
MTL