Hello David!

DN> Until now I found only one place I can use it. It's an admin page where I am
DN> monitoring our server's current memory usage and memory usage "delta"
DN> between two "events".
DN> There you need some kind of "local", "static" (in C++ terms) variables to
DN> keep track of previous/current memory usage and I found <%! %> a good
DN> shortcut for doing it.

Well, it's a good place to put static constant data needed by
the page.

For example, it is perfectly reasonalbel to do something like

<%! const java.util.Locale myLoc = new java.util.Locale("ru","RU"); %>
<%! const String choices[] = { "aaa", "bbb", "ccc" }; %>

And if anybody needs to declare some function he will call later
in a scriptlet or in an expression (<%= %>)
it is also apropriate to put it here:

<%!
    java.util.Random rand = new java.util.Random();

    String generatePassword(){
        StringBuffer ret = new StringBuffer;
        for (int i=0;i<23;++i) ret.append(
           (char)(
               Math.floor(rand.nextFloat()*20)
           )
        );
        return ret.toString();
    }
%>
Hope I haven't run into any sychronization trouble,
at least the api docs for sun jdk 1.3 say that
java.util.Random is synchronized somewhere inside.

Best regards, Anton Tagunov