From: David M. Karr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 7:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using JNDI in a JSP/Servlet

    Celeste> I'm attempting to use JNDI with a third party JDBC driver
inside of a
    Celeste> servlet.  When I attempt to call the servlet, my catch block
catches the
    Celeste> following error message:

    Celeste> Error .....   Cannot instantiate class:
    Celeste> com.sun.jndi.fscontext.RefFSContextFactory

    Celeste> I moved the code into a pure Java class for debugging.  The
line that the
    Celeste> error message occurs on is as follows:

    Celeste>                    ctx = new InitialContext(env);

    Celeste> Does anyone have a guess as to why I am unable to instantiate a
new Context
    Celeste> class?  I suspect it may have to do with setting permissions
for jndi, but I
    Celeste> am not certain.  I do have the JNDI.jar file in my server jvm
jre\lib\ext
    Celeste> subdirectory, and I moved it into my jdk jre\lib\ext
subdirectory for
    Celeste> debugging the class code.  Just for grins I included the jdk
jre\lib\ext
    Celeste> path in  my dev box classpath for testing the class code.  The
class code is
    Celeste> as follows:

Ordinarily, I would assume this is a silly question, but did you make the
jar
file which contains the "com.sun.jndi.fscontext.RefFSContextFactory" class
available to the application?  This particular class (as I recognize it)
should
be in the "fscontext.jar" that is part of the "File System" sample JNDI
service
provider that you can get from
<http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/serviceproviders.html>.