Hello Joe!

>>> If anyone knows how to do without using a GIF please contribute
JC> to this discussion! <<

JC> Just use a DIV or TABLE with a colored background.

I've considered this approach, but unfortunantly <div> elements are
block-level elements.

This means that the divs are formatted only bellow any other text,
like <p> elements:

Some-text
+-----------+
| first div |
+-----------+

+--------------+
|  second div  |
+--------------+
Some more text

While it is not generally possible to achieve the following effects:
           +--------------+
Some text  |              |
           +--------------+
                    +--+
                    |  |
               +--+ |  |
               |  | |  |
Some more text +--+ +--+

Also I doubt if the divs will always obey the width and hight style.
For exaple the following does not work
<TABLE BORDER="1"><TR><TD><DIV STYLE="WIDTH:320px;
HIGHT:160px">&nbsp;</DIV></TD></TR></TABLE>

Tables also are quite stubborn and trend to take not those sizes
that you gave them, but tables are better hope.
On the other side, we heed some inline-level HTML elements, while
tables are block-level too :-(
--
Best regards,
 Anthony                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]