Try to extract your driver jar file into your web server default class
directory.  That way it will surely see the classes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gare, Tref [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 10:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: JDBC connection failing to Oracle 8i with Tomcat3.3

Hi to all,

Any help on this one will help save the remaining hair on my head for which
I will be truly grateful.  We're having enormous dificulty with getting an
Oracle JDBC driver recognised in our webapp.  A day of trawling google and
the archives have brought up a variety of solutions which we've gone through
but so far to no avail..

The base error we're getting is the following
Root cause:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
The environment is NT4, Tomcat 3.3, jdk1.3.1_01 and Oracle 8i

Todate we have:
* downloaded the oracle JDBC driver classes12.zip and dumped it into the the
tomcat\lib directory both as the original zip and then renamed as a jar  -
no success
* Tried it in the specific web-app's lib folder.
* Edited the class path such that wherever it is can be seen by the jdk and
attempted to run a small test app/class
* Expanded the zip file into the above directories one by one

Our connection code looks pretty standard

    Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
    Connection conn =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@123.123.12.123:dbname","user"
,"pwd");

but we're getting nowhere.