As I guy who conducts interviews.....

Having the technology of the products used by the hiring company will help
get you the interviews.
However, unless you've used them in an industrial setting - the interviewer
will quickly see through your thin layer of skills.

The best use of your time (assuming you don't have a sheet of paper proving
you've learned this stuff) is to pick a group of technologies that work
together - and build an appropriate application & put it into production.

For example;  Java, Servlet, Struts, JSP, EJB.

This gives you something to put on your resume that looks like industry
experience, and you've done some learning in the process.  As well, it gives
you a story to tell during the interview.  What you did, what worked, what
didn't, what you learned, how you'd do things differently.

The other important thing to spend time is learning and understanding good
"design".  This is something harder to teach, harder to learn, but just as
important.

Some of the scariest things I see in the industry are guys from other
industries who've read a book, built an application, and then sell
themselves like professional IT guys; where their skills are no where near
the same level as the guy who's spent 4 years in university and many more
years practicing the trade.  I've worked with some very smart cookies who
were self taught; but these guys tend to be far and few between.  Make sure
you focus on UNDERSTANDING how everything works together.  Getting depth in
JRUN is more important then getting breath across JRUN, WebSphere, Weblogic,
etc - especially if you are entering the market as a junior guy!

Best of luck.