I don't know what happened with my last post. It came up as jumbled text. Here's a
repost.

The following is taken from
http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html#Servlet-Reloading

The next step is to tell Tomcat to check the modification dates of the class files of
requested servlets and reload ones that have changed since they were loaded into the
server's memory. This degrades performance in deployment situations, so is turned off
by default. However, if you fail to turn it on for your development server, you'll
have to restart the server every time you recompile a servlet that has already been
loaded into the server's memory.
To turn on servlet reloading, edit install_dir/conf/server.xml and add a
DefaultContext subelement to the main Service element and supply true for the
reloadable attribute. The easiest way to do this is to find the following comment:

        <!-- Define properties for each web application.  This is only needed
             if you want to set non-default properties, or have web application
             document roots in places other than the virtual host's appBase
             directory.  -->

and insert the following line just below it:
        <DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>

Be sure to make a backup copy of server.xml before making the above change.