I am porting a Tomcat 4.03 JSP application to a new installation that
has a hardware switch ("BIG-IP") routing requests to multiple CPUs.
The switch checks the incoming IP address and routes the user to the
same computer he used previously, but only if he comes back within a
half hour.  After that his request is routed randomly to the next
available server.

The application uses session variables to save data, and sessions can
last more than a half hour.  So I wrote some code to serialize the
session variables and store them in a database (a story in itself).
However, I'm getting occasional ConcurrentModificationExceptions,
which makes me wonder if Tomcat is updating the session object from
another thread at the same time as I am (though maybe not, there's
probably another explanation for this and if anyone has one, please
speak up!)

In any case, while perusing through Tomcat source code and Catalina
Javadocs I found a JDBCStore class which seems to do exactly what I'm
trying to do.

My questions are:

  1. Should application developers use this class?

  2. If not, is there a higher level interface that should be used?

  3. Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks.
--
Alan Meyer
AM Systems, Inc.