    Martin> --- Ola Theander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    >> Dear subscribers.
    >>
    >> I would like to know if there is some JSP engine,
    >> class library or
    >> similar that allows the Java code to be separated
    >> from the layout, i.e.
    >> HTML code, similar to what's available in MS Visual
    >> Studio.net?
    >>
    >> In VS.net a dynamic web page is built by two
    >> separate files, one file
    >> containing the layout of the page and one page
    >> containing the code. The
    >> code manages the objects in the layout file, e.g. a
    >> text box, list box
    >> etc. as objects with properties and methods, pretty
    >> much as if you where
    >> coding a GUI application. There is also the
    >> possibility to build more
    >> complex object composed by existing objects and
    >> HTML. The big advantage
    >> is that you as the developer will have an
    >> abstraction layer between the
    >> code and the layout and the graphics designer
    >> doesn't need to worry
    >> about the code.
    >>
    >> My question is, is there something similar to this
    >> on the
    >> JSP/Servlet/J2EE platform?

This is provided by the Tiles package, as part of the Jakarta Struts framework.
You can define "layouts" with specific HTML layouts, and "definitions", which
reference the layouts.  You can even define all the "definitions" (the actual
page instances) in a single file.

Then, using Struts, you can define all the display strings in a resource file,
so your JSP code doesn't hardcode any strings.