From: "Andy Engle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: How to Hide the source code (html source) created in runtime

Juha Halmu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://javascript.internet.com/page-details/no-right-click.html

http://www.aveda.com tried that trick, and I had their source code in
less than 5 seconds after attempting the right click.  Even if you
can't right click, you can just go to "Save As..." (I did this with
Internet Exploiter), and you can save the entire page.  When you save
the page, Internet Exploiter also grabs all of the other HTML,
Javascript, and image files that go into making a single page, and
saves it all to a location you specify.  So, in this case, not only did
I work around aveda.com's attempt to prevent me from looking at their
source code, but I also had all of their supporting code as well (js
files, etc.), saved to a "folder" on my desktop, with one click on
"Save As".

Even if you can't right-click, there are so many other ways to get code
and graphics ("Save As", "View Source", telnetting to port 80 on the
httpd, and so on).

I like what Clayton Nash said earlier:

> If it's for security, you've already missed the point completely. If
> your security depends on the user not seeing the html source -- or
> even what's inside an ActiveX control then you have no security.

Exactly.

Andy