Jan Arenö wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a problem... It seems like I can't install Jakarta Taglibs correct,
> can anyone help me...
> I have installed Tomcat 4.x om my localmachine and it works fine
> (localhost:8080)
> Now i was thinking about testing taglibs, couse I don't have a clue how
> smart it is. I downloaded the jakarta taglibs. Copied the Jar files into my
> webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib catalog.

Since you're using a JSP 1.2 container (Tomcat 4), this is all you have
to do (assuming the JAR files contains the TLD file, and that the TLD
contains a default URI declaration, but that's usually the case for
Jakarta libraries). When you start the container, it looks through all
files under WEB-INF to locate all tag libraries. As long as you use the
default URI for the library in your taglib directive, it's able to
figure out which library you refer to. For instance, if you have
installed the Jakarta Standard library (the JSTL reference
implementation), a taglib directive like this makes the JSTL core
library available within the page:

   <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core"; %>

> The tld files into my webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF catalog.

No need to install the TLD files; they are already part of the JAR files
and web container will find them there.

> Then I am suppost to change my web.xml file I guess. [...]

No, that's not necessary when you use a JSP 1.2 container, see above.

> Since I don't have done anything else (changed classpath or anything) I
> guess I might have to do that to?

No need to change the classpath. You have placed the JAR files in the
WEB-INF/lib directory, which is already part of the containers
classpath.

> How do I test the taglibs so it works? Anyone have a small piece of code so
> I can figure out when it is working...

All Jakarta tag libraries come with a test application. If you install
it you can just copy some tests from the test application to your
application (the ROOT application in your case). Alternatively, just
read the library documentation and try something out.

Assuming you're trying to install the JSTL reference implementation,
this article may also help you get started:

   <http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/08/14/jstl1.html>

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com