On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Chetan K.R wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to pass the value of a JS variable to a JSP method
>
> The JSP is enclosed inside <script> tag
>
> The value returned by JSP is used for some purpose in JS
>
> Any idea how to do it ?

There is no direct interface between JSP and JavaScript.  The browser
receives JavaScript from the server only as text, so there isn't any way
to pass a structured object, as in

  <script>
   javaScriptFunction(<%= myDate %>);
  </script>

Instead, if you want to pass data from JSP to JavaScript, you need to
construct the appropriate JavaScript literals in text, or build up
appropriate assignments.  If you've got strings, then this is easy, but if
you're trying to initialize more complex objects, you need to do so with
combinations of individual assignments and literals.

--
Shawn Bayern