Can someone tell me why in a production application I would need to have a web
server (Apache, Jetty, etc) with an App Server (JBoss, Tomcat, etc) ?

Let's say I have an app with servlets and JSP and static HTML. Would I need
Tomcat and Apache or can it work just with apache? Remember I need it to be
production quality.

When would I need to combine apache and tomcat? or jetty and jboss?

Thanks,

Pablo