Pass the out object as a parameter to you output method and use
out.println in your method

Pavan

[mailto:JSP-INTEREST@;JAVA.SUN.COM] On Behalf Of cbarnes
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 3:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Methods in JSPs

I've added a method to my JSP, which in a simplified form looks
something like the following:

<%!
    private void output(String text)
    {
         System.out.println(text);
    }
%>

I want to change this so that it also displays 'text' on the html page,
but I can't work out how this can be done from within the method.

If I do the following:
<%!
private void output(String text)
{
    System.out.println(text);
%>
<%
}
%>

I get an error because it thinks the method is not terminated with a }.

If I do the following:
<%!
private void output(String text)
{
    System.out.println(text);
%>
<%!
}
%>

it thinks that 'text' is no longer in scope.

Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Catharine