Hans,

I just read the article which is very interesting for people that want
to use libraries to develop JSTL style tags.

In reading the article, I realized that I had a nagging question
about JSTL, tag libraries, etc vs JSP.

To quote from your article some code:

   <xmp:forEachDay var="curr">
      <c:set var="bg" value="white" />
      <xmp:ifSunday>
         <c:set var="bg" value="red" />
      </xmp:ifSunday>
            <fmt:formatDate value="${curr.time}"
               pattern="EE dd, MMM yyyy" />
   </xmp:forEachDay>

Is JSTL clearly easier than JSP? I'll admit that I'm biased. As someone
who know Java this looks more complicated than doing the same or similar
things with JSP. But rather than use anecdotal evidence one way or
another I'd be intrested in more systematic research on this.

Do you know of any focus groups or other research to compare how
long/hard it is to get people up to speed with JSTL/Tags vs standard
JSP.  How about vs ASP, PHP and other competing technologies?

On a similar note, there's been a recent presentation made comparing
these different technologies by a yahoo engineer explaining why, at
least for some projects, they're migrating to PHP.
http://public.yahoo.com/~radwin/talks/yahoo-phpcon2002.htm

The only reasons they mention against Java/JSP is that native thread support
on FreeBSD is not available yet.

Thanks for the article and any responses,

Dror

--
Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc