----- Original Message -----
From: "Dror Matalon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: How should i proceed with

Hi,

-- CLIP

> > 1. IsUserInRole() is about authorization, so that won't solve
> > the problem at all, I fear. With this method, you can check
> > what a user is allowed to do. You can't check if the user
> > tries to log in twice, regardless of the authentication
> > scheme used.
>
> No true. The way "BASIC" authentication works, you set things up
> so that the user can't log in twice.

Now this is interesting. How would one 'set things up' so that
a user can't log in twice using declarative security? I may be
dumb, but I just didn't find any fitting mechanism for that.
Considering realms: I always had the impression that realms
were basically a (container-specific) means of telling Tomcat
where to look for the credentials and map usernames to
roles. I can't see why using BASIC authentication makes
any difference in this context. In fact, even re-reading the
Tomcat realms how-to didn't help. I just can't see what
roles may have to to with the number of logins a user
may perform concurrently. But obviously I'm wrong or
missing something. Would you care to explain the details?

-- CLIP

> While this might be true, most modern day web applications are
> almost useless if they can't trust their database to be up. On top
> of that, most modern databases are at least as reliable as the
> servlet engine (after all dbs have been around for a lot longer),
> so your database uptime's going to be much higher. Specifically
> in our case, I find our database, Postgres, to be quite a bit
> more solid than Tomcat. YMMV.

We even use the 'unbreakable' one, but that's not the point.
If you store session state information in a database - which
may be a necessity in distributed applications -, you'll also
have to have a means to keep the database in sync with
the web tier. Otherwise, if the web tier crashes, the 'active'
flag will still be there, effectively keeping the user out.

@Ravi:

http://www.stardeveloper.com/articles/display.html?article=2001111901&page=1
http://www.stardeveloper.com/articles/display.html?article=2001112001&page=1

How to implement a global UserRegistryBean stored in
the ServletContext (application scope) is also explained
in detail in the O'Reilly JSP book. You can easily adapt
the mechanism described there to not storing a token
in the session scope after succesful authentication, but
maintaining a Collection of loginNames in ServletContext
instead, using a listener in place of a filter and the like.
If you don't have the book, you might still want to look
at the example sources, available from
http://www.thejspbook.com/download.jsp.

-- Chris (SCPJ2)