Hi Christian,

this is exactly what session timeouts are made for. HTTP
is request-response based, ie. a statusless protocol, so
if the user doesn't log out as designed (giving your app
a chance to call session.invalidate() somewhere), there
is no means to tell if he is still connected or not. As the
session state is kept on the server, an indication that
the session may have come to an end is the interval
of activity between two requests (or: the lack of
another request, in this case). You can specify the
interval in question in web.xml or by calling
setMaxInactiveInterval() somewhere in you code.

HTH,

-- Chris (SCPJ2)