Hi all,

I have a web app in which all the pages have exactly the same header,
side bar and footer. At first I was going to make these 3 seperate jsp
files and use a jsp include, (probably the <%@ include %> since the
pages won't change?).

Then the web designer returned a 'template' to me which had all 3 on one
page, laid out, with an area, a table cell which contains the actual
difference for each page, the idea being that if I have 10 different
pages I can make 10 copies of the template and just fill in the table
cell. So then I thought, what about just having the one 'template' page
which all the webapp links reference, and include the portion that
changes, using the include statement and using a request attribute to
tell the page what to include. For example like this:

<c:choose>
  <c:when test="${showPage=='Page1'}">
    <jsp:include flush="true" page="_page1.jsp"/>
  </c:when>
  <c:when test="${showPage=='Page2'}">
    <jsp:include flush="true" page="_page2.jsp"/>
  </c:when>
  <c:when test="${showPage=='etc'}">
    <jsp:include flush="true" page="_etc.jsp"/>
  </c:when>
  <c:otherwise>
    <jsp:include flush="true" page="_login.jsp"/>
  </c:otherwise>
</c:choose>

I hope I being clear.

I guess what I'm asking is the pro's cons of such a setup. I haven't
really seen anyone else doing it and am wondering if this is because it
increases compilation time significantly or something else I don't know
about. Is there a better way to do it?

Any comments / criticisms appreciated

Thanks
Joel