Actually it's not a security violation since it's the browser that sees
the directory not the server. I haven't explored this in detail, but I
suspect that the problem is that you need to associate a form field with
each file. By the time the browser chooses the file, it knows which
field it needs to associate it with. So there would be not way to upload
arbirary number of files.

It would be a cool extention to the multipart protocol.

See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2388.txt for details of

Returning Values from Forms:  multipart/form-data

--
Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc