Actually, you need to be very careful about using
Singletons in the J2EE application.

1. Since you are restricted to use static fields in
your EJB, you may need to find other ways to stimulate
the Sigleton pattern. One of the recommanded way is
via JNDI according to Ed Roman's book.  In addition, I
had experience on using Sigleton pattern in my servlet
to cached the reference on my RMI server in WebLogic
web server environment which cause "..not in object
table" exception everytime my RMI server happended to
reset.

2. Clustering is indeed a valid architecture concern
which often get ignored or postponded in the latter
stage of the application design. When we talk about
clustering, there are separate aspect need to take
into consideration: http request/http session and ejb
clustering which implies JVM afinities issues. I would
really like to hear from people with experience to
give us some pointers or use this as start point to
discuss different design issues, consideration, or
best practice on this topic.

--- "Christian Bollmeyer (GMX)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Am Samstag, 18. Januar 2003 03:59 schrieb Sajag
> Patel:
>
> When coding for clustered applications, generally
> keep
> special heed of Singletons in your app. Apart from
> that, clustering capability heavily depends on your
> app's architecture in the first place and IMHO is a
> topic too complex to be laid out here in detail.
>
> HTH,
>
> -- Chris (SCPJ2)
>
> > I was wondering if anyone knew of any special
> coding technique or changes
> > that need to be made
> > to run an application on an clustered iplanet
> application servers. Any
> > feedback would be helpful.
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Sajag

> "signoff JSP-INTEREST".
> For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body:
> "set JSP-INTEREST DIGEST".
>
> Some relevant archives, FAQs and Forums on JSPs can
> be found at:
>
>  http://java.sun.com/products/jsp
>  http://archives.java.sun.com/jsp-interest.html
>  http://forums.java.sun.com