Note that versions prior to JDK 1.4 did not support this on "headless" machines,
i.e. servermachines without a graphics card.

If you need to generate graphics on such a machine with an earlier JDK, there
are some Java-based substitutes for the AWT parts. I'm sorry that I cannot be
more specific, but I don't have the names of these packages at hand.

Good luck!
/Bengt B