>Does the web application this page belong to use a Servlet 2.3
>Deployment Descriptor (web.xml file)? If so, EL processing is
>turned off by default (for >backwards compatibility). If this is
> the case, you have two options:
>1) Change the web.xml file to the new Servlet 2.4 format,
>2) Add a page directive in the file with the isELIgnored
>attribute set to false.

I use the new 2.4 Servlet format.

>Also note that neither the JSP 2.0 spec nor Tomcat 5 is fully cooked yet,
so be prepared for
>things not being 100% in sync. I've tested approach 1) with >regular JSP
files (not JSP
>Documents, i.e. JSP in XML format) and it worked fine with a TC 5 version
from a
>few weeks ago, but I believe I had problems >with approach 2).

Please note that in the example I provided, in the part
the first EL expression (the attribute value) is treated as text, whereas
the second (the body of the element), is treated correctly like an EL
expression. I haven't tried it with the standard jsp syntax, since I
exclusively use Jsp Document syntax.

I'll assume that this is a bug in Tomcat 5 Alpha with JSP Documents and
template elements' attributes, until someone proves otherwise. If someone
knows who to send a line to at Apache, I'll gladly provide them with some
assumed bug info.

I'm aware that neither JSP 2.0 nor Tomcat is finished yet. Still, I find the
new JSP standard togheter with the JSP Document approach too useful not to
use it. Actually I feel that I wouldn't know how to manage without the
implicit automatic xml validation and all the other advantages that JSP 2.0
+ JSP Document syntax + EL + JSTL 1.0 provides. And there's not even a beta
that handles it yet! I guess you've sometimes got to be at the edge if you
think it's the right approach and you think you know how to use it. :)

Thanks (again, you've answered at least one other question from me) for the
quick response. You seem to be quite involved with JSTL and the new JSP
standard.

Erik Beijnoff
Addsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]