Just because an appserver doesn't provide the JSTL out of the box
doesn't mean it doesn't support it.  The web container portion of the
appserver needs to support the Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications.
I don't know for sure whether JRun 4 does that.

It isn't the TLD file that provides the JSTL functionality, it's the
"jstl.jar" and "standard.jar" files that come in the JSTL distribution
(the TLD files are also stored in the "standard.jar").