LDAP is perfectly designed for this use.  A properly setup LDAP server
offers you a single authentication point for many different applications.
What happens is that you create an authentication record in the LDAP user
for each application that you want the user to access.  The user's name and
password for that application are stored in the LDAP database and recalled
whenever a the application is called.  Granted this is over simplifying the
process but that's essentially how it works.  We had implemented this at my
last job and it worked great to provide one login to all our applications
that resided on many contexts.

I hope this helps,
Kenny