Mike

There is no such thing as overkill. It is merely an
architectural decision.

You need to determine whether the overhead of "writing to
a log file each time" is within acceptable performance
parameters defined for the application you are building.

Some questions that you need to answer before deciding ---
How many JMS messages are being generated per minute / hour?
Is there some historical data that will help you determine peak message
generation rates?
What is the size of the JVM?
How much space is the Logging object taking?
How many different objects in JVM memory at peak usage?

Possible work around
You can create a Value Object and fill it with 20, 50 or
100 timestamps and then write out to persistent storage
or whatever medium you are logging to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rajesh