Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

I'm not quite sure where to start with JTS: I have a database with a a text field holding large number of latitude/longitude pairs seperated by spaces to represent polygons.

Rendering these as GIFs with awt has proven easy enough, as has producing KML, but the size of my KML file, even gzipped, is too large to publish.

Merging these shapes with awt.geometry has proven extremely inefficient.

Some kind soul pointed me to JTS, and I gather that the geometry.union() method would be beneficial.

Would that seem to make sense? Are there any code samples available using the classes involved?

Many thanks in anticipation
Lee