On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 05:27 PM, Tim Colson wrote:
All the pieces work, but I'm having problems with the db and tomcat
startup/shutdown because they are persistent processes, not short-lived
tasks.

Its a known "issue" with Ant and firing up processes that live longer than the Ant process itself. Several folks have submitted patches to allow for it, and there is likely a Bugzilla issue out there with the code. I'm offline at PDX at the moment on my way back home from OSCON, so I can't look it up right now.

I haven't read the entire Eric (Hatcher) Ant book - but I did look and
did not find what I needed, but I might have easily missed it.

The bulk of <exec>/<java> coverage is in chapter 5, but since Ant couldn't not (as of version 1.5.x) launch processes that persisted beyond its life we didn't have any coverage of that.

Like I said, though, it can be patched to allow for this. I am not sure if the CVS codebase of Ant (1.6alpha) has had this patch applied or not - so check Bugzilla and see what turns up.

Let me know if you need further assistance with this and I'd be happy to dig into it a bit further.

Erik