From: Chad Woolley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

One of the speakers (on Swing) at the No Fluff Just Stuff said it was not impressive, and even the Swing designers weren't to happy with it. I have no idea if that is true or not...

That was me, and what I said was (of course) true. :-) SpringLayout is a relative layout manager, designed primarily for use by GUI Swing tools. Upon use, you'll find it is pitifully obvious that no one is going to hand-code with SpringLayout anytime soon. (BTW, the Swing developers I chatted with were several members of Sun's Swing team, and they did indeed explicitly express their distaste for it.)

If you are interested in a relative layout manager for Swing (e.g., SWT's FormLayout), check out RelativeLayout:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/09/18/relativelayout.html

Tim Colson wrote:
I noticed this "Spring Layout" on the poll for "new stuff to add for
Swixml2.0"
Anybody here used it? Thoughts?
How does it compare to TableLayout?

I've not used TableLayout, but if it is in fact a table-based layout manager, it will be quite different than RelativeLayout or SpringLayout. Relative layout managers position components relative to each other and their container; grid (or table) layout managers position components in a grid.

In the context of SwiXML, support for SpringLayout may make sense, presuming the XUL dialect wraps the SpringLayout constraints in an easy-to-use fashion.

Best,

Ben Galbraith