From: Terence Rudkin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:53 AM
To: jug-discussion@tucson-jug.org
Cc: Nicholas Lesiecki
Subject: Re: [jug-discussion] And on that note WAS: Re: [jug-discussion]Our
thanks to Nick

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 23:36 -0700, Nicholas Lesiecki wrote:

> And on that note:
>
> Can anyone suggest best of breed books for learning the following
> topics as an experienced software engineer (i.e. me):
>
> C++
Most of my C++ reference is old:
Stroustrup "The C++ Programming Language"
Pohl "Object Oriented Programming C++"

Stroustrup is the base for C++, as K&R is to C, Pohl is a
prolific text book writer, I find his style good for grasping
a concept.

> Linux
I agree with Robert on Unix Power Tools.  I would add:
Newham & Rosenblatt "Learning the bash Shell"

While bash is not Linux.  But much of what you do in Linux is often at
the command line or a shell script.  So a good grasp of bash can be
useful.

> apparently these gaps in my knowledge really can't remain unfilled for
> me much longer :)
>
> Nick

Terence Rudkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>