SVG is a contender in this space.  Adobe's recent
aquisition of Macromedia may spell the end of support
by Adobe, but the Mozilla and Linux community is
clearly behind SVG and Microsoft does their
predictable regaling and vaporware releases to please
the software community.  Certainly worth checking out.
 jmz

Yahoo! Mail