I'm not sure that Groovy is a better java integration choice.
Assuming that both can be made to work equally well when compiling to
bytecode and working with native java 3rd party libs, why not choose a
fairly mature language that has widespread and growing popularity ,
rather than something relatively obscure and not as mature?

-- Chad