I'll hijack your hijack!

With Ruby, I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of difference that no-compile-step makes. For scripting-type applications I've used Icon for years and although Icon compilation is virtually instantaneous, it's still another step. With Ruby it's edit-run-edit-run. Maybe the difference is that you simply can't forget to compile it.

FWIW, I'm giving a talk on Ruby at the Developer's SIG (devsig.editme.com) on February 7. The content is still up in the air but it'll cover the basics of the language and maybe touch on Rails. (I said maybe!)