Hi All,

I recently got back from working for three months at a university in
Lyon, France, setting up a web service there.  The idea being that
someone can enter in requests in interactive forms online for some
scientific calculations, in fact in astrophysics relating to the
photometry and spectroscopy of brown dwarfs, then the results are
sent back to them.  Before going off to France I went to some of
your meetings, and have been following this listserv from France.

I had no tools to design the client side code, just my laptop with
a text editor and browser, but I managed to write all the XHTML,
CSS and _javascript_ by hand.  In the process I learned a lot about
the DOM, and being able to access elements in the forms, and
modify the appearance of the forms interactively if required.  With
that more or less finished, I turned to writing code in Java for the
server to handle the incoming requests.  Unfortunately, the hardware
came only a few weeks before I left to return to Tucson, due to
delays in the French providing the required funds, so the work was
not completed, as was also the case with some collaborators there
writing other code.  However, before the hardware came I
downloaded a small evaluation web server software onto my laptop
computer, and managed to test out JSP and Servlets.

Anyway, it looks as if I may be back in France later this year for
perhaps a couple of months to finish the job, and in the mean time
I'm looking for some possibilities here in the Tucson area, in case
someone is interested in my skills.

Regards,

Christopher

Christopher Sharp