Something I heard years ago, and I wish I knew who to attribute it to, is that there are three ways to learn a programming language:

   Teach it.
   Implement it.
   Write a book about it.
   (For best results, do all three.)

It's interesting to consider how the three fill in differing aspects of your knowledge. As an example of learning by implementing, the C expression &*p puzzled me until I learned how to implement it, in a great class taught by David R. Hanson. Regarding learning by teaching, you can come up with what you imagine to be the greatest possible explanation of something but if a student doesn't get it, it's back to the drawing board!