On 18/09/13 07:33, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> This isn't, by all means, to suggest that we should stop caring about
> the quality of our code base. I'm all for improving variable names,
> type names, and whatever else, as people who actually worked with me
> can confirm. It's rather just a small reminder that perfect code comes
> second to having a relevant product.

I both agree and disagree :-)

Having perfect code and a useless product is pointless unless the code
is itself the goal, which it almost always isn't.

Having a great product that is a mess behind the scenes is fine for a
start.  Uncle Bob makes this exact point in the book.  There was the
best debugger in the industry, awesome product, everyone used it, but it
fell behind because the code was a mess and it was getting harder and
harder to extend over time.

Yes we need a relevant product.  But if we want the product to stay
relevant, then it needs to be as clean as possible under the covers.

Tim