Resend to the list.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM, John Meinel <j...@arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> I know William and I are well aware that 1.18 cli wont work with a 1.16
> server (and most likely the reverse is true).
> Agent compatibility is actually easy at this point because we have that all
> in the API already. CLI compat is something we've explicitly skipped.
>
> I would  love to support it and will certainly require it post 2.0. Is it
> worth spending the time now?

I think we have a numbers problem. I believe savvy users will accept
incompatibilities between major numbers. 0, 1, and 2 imply different
foundations. 1.16 and 1.18 imply additional features, not the removal
of them. If 1.18 cannot help 1.16 upgrade to 1.18, we offer ways to
have co-installs of both.

Alternatively, if this is just about the transition about cli to api,
we write a make this clear in the known issues, explain how we think
small organisations and large enterprises will accomplish the upgrade.
We will also accept that many will refuse to upgrade because the
barrier is too high, just as users have done with pyjuju,

Honestly. as much as I want to see 1.18 this month, I don't think it
can happen this year. If we make upgrades hard, we will stop work on
features after the 1.18 release to address the concerns of
organisations that cannot complete upgrades.

--
Curtis Hovey
Canonical Cloud Development and Operations