>> Installed sizes:
>
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7.2M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongo
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongodump
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongoexport
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongoimport
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  13M Sep  5 15:30 /usr/bin/mongorestore
>
>> Expect ~50% ish compression for the package itself.
>
>> Lets think about download sizes/times for end-users in this
>> context please :-).  It costs time for every server that's
>> provisioned.
>
> Compressed package size comes to 24MB.

So the discussion ended up that we could probably get away with a
minimum of:
  mongo (requires running server, but doesn't bundle v8 itself)
  mongod
  mongodump
  mongos

We can use 'mongo' instead of 'mongoexport' for the specific use case
(just have to run it before stopping the db).

We'll definitely want easy access to mongorestore, though I don't
think we need mongoimport. I get the feeling if we do have a
'juju-mongodb' which has our minimum set, we probably would still want
the possibility of installing 'juju-mongodb-tools' which has all of
mongoexport/mongoimport/mongooplog/mongoperf/morgorestore/mongosniff, etc.
Essentially mongodb-clients but guaranteed to work with the version of
mongo we have running. Is that silly?

Looking here: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/mongodb/

It looks like the major size issue is the v8 stuff given that
mongodb-client on 2.2.4 is 20M, but on 2.4.6 it is 60M.

Is there a reason it can't be a shared library between the ~4 client
binaries?

Given that mongodb-server is 9.2M, I assume most of the size is those
extra client libs.

If it is just about what we are actively advocating having available
'mongorestore' would also go into the above list, but it is the sort
of thing that you don't do "regularly" in a healthy system.

John
=:->