On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Jonathan Aquilina <jaquil...@eagleeyet.net
> wrote:

> I have an interesting scenario which either is already catered for or
> should
> be catered for.
>
> I am currently using a local provider for testing and contribution
> purposes.
>
> I bootstrapped an environment and deployed the juju-gui i then shut down
> the
> computer and powered it on again this morning the bootstrapped environment
> came up just fine yet the instance i created with the juju gui did not
>
> jaquilina@jaquilina-Satellite-S75-A:~/.juju$ juju status
> environment: local
> machines:
>   "0":
>     agent-state: started
>     agent-version: 1.16.5.1
>     dns-name: 10.0.3.1
>     instance-id: localhost
>     series: saucy
>   "1":
>     agent-state: started
>     agent-version: 1.16.5.1
>     instance-id: jaquilina-local-machine-1
>     instance-state: missing
>     series: precise
> services: {}
> jaquilina@jaquilina-Satellite-S75-A:~/.juju$ sudo lxc-ls  --fancy
> NAME                       STATE    IPV4       IPV6  AUTOSTART
> jaquilina-local-machine-1  RUNNING  10.0.3.50  -     YES
>
> As can be seen the instance state is missing. I removed the entire
> bootstrapped environment and recreated it again

I think you may have hit this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1237259
The machine is there: agent-state says "started"; instance-state is simply
wrong. Try "sudo juju status".

This bug has been recently fixed, and will be in the next release.

> machines:
>   "0":
>     agent-state: started
>     agent-version: 1.16.5.1
>     dns-name: 10.0.3.1
>     instance-id: localhost
>     series: saucy
> services: {}
>
> Now the scenario is this. This is more for cloud providers as well as those
> hosting private clouds. But what does one do if you have a server which
> fails
> or power cycles itself for one reason or another. How will one bring back
> up
> the instances that were running on it?

Assuming your storage is durable, this should not be a problem: the
containers will not disappear. It is possible to export/import bundles via
the GUI, so you also have the option of keeping a backup of your
environment (i.e. a YAML description of the machines, services, units,
relations, etc.); then you can recreate as necessary. This assumes that you
make no manual modifications - this is a requirement for reproducibility.

HTH
Andrew