roger peppe <roger.pe...@canonical.com> writes:

>>> As John says, this isn't actually true - connections are secured with
>>> a server cert and a password.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I believe it is impossible to lose either one of these
>>> without rendering juju fundamentally insecure against man-in-the-middle
>>> attacks.
>>>
>>> If we take the approach you suggest, that's what we'd end up with. Anyone
>>> that can subvert the network between the "juju connect" command and the
>>> API server could pretend to be the desired environment, forwarding and
>>> changing requests as maliciously as it liked. There's no way that the
>>> client can know that it's talking to the middle-man, and no way for the
>>> server to know that it's not being addressed by the expected client.
>>>
>>> There is also the problem that the "endpoint" can change - with HA the
>>> actual API addresses can and will change (and there are many
>>> possible addresses too - we try to connect to all of them; that's
>>> not very convenient for a small piece of information to copy
>>> and paste)
>>

>> So we could certainly make it safe once you have securely connected 1 time.
>> In that we can ask what the CA cert is for this environment, and then make
>> sure all future connections are validated with that CA.
>
> Yes. You have to work out how you're going to connect securely that
> first time though. How do you propose to do that?

I'm not really up on the context, but this is the same problem as
connecting to a https site or ssh server for the first time, right?  I
think the options are to have central certificate authority (seems
unlikely here) or some kind of web of trust (having someone whose GPG
key you trust email you a signed copy of the server cert fingerprint?).

Cheers,
mwh