You can keep updating a pull request as your work on a feature. Old diffs
and comment are preserved. On nice feature is that old comments are hidden
if the area of the code they reference is changed by a later diff.

This link from the Github people themselves is light on detail but talks
about how they use a pull request as a way of tracking work in progress
right from the beginning of the development of a feature.

https://github.com/blog/1124-how-we-use-pull-requests-to-build-github

I guess this doesn't address the email spam problem but it does seem like
it would work otherwise. People can individually opt out of notifications
about a specific PR but that's not really ideal.