On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 6:44 AM, William Reade <william.re...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM, Andrew Wilkins <
> andrew.wilk...@canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> If that's the case, why do we not just require charms to implement an
>> address-changed hook to update the relation setting then?
>> That way we don't break existing proxy charms, but other charms won't be
>> fixed until they implement that hook. We'd have to keep the initial
>> private-address value for backwards compatibility at least initially.
>>
>> So how about this as an alternative proposal:
>>  - Add relation-address-changed, but don't add automatic updating of
>> private-address (after initial setting).
>>  - Continue to use "unit-get private-address". When we have networks,
>> then we can add "-r" and have it default to the current relation.
>>
>> Pros:
>>  - Nothing to do on upgrade, no messy error-prone logic
>>  - No network specific bits added until they're added
>>  - No charms will be broken any more than they already are
>> Cons:
>>  - Existing non-proxy charms will need to be changed to take advantage of
>> the fix
>>

> Still not ideal, but model-wise it'd work for me. Also covers the odd
> weird case where an interface uses "host" instead of "private-address".
> Kapil? Charmers? I understand that the extra work is unattractive, but I
> really don't want to depend on racy scary magic, and I can't shake the
> feeling that automatic rewrites will always take us there.

One additional possibility is that we could introduce this behaviour for
1.20 (if it lands in time), and then in 1.22 we could enable unconditional
automatic updating of private-address as in the original proposal. This
would give proxy charms time to update, while also fixing the other charms.
This can easily be done on top of this proposal.