On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM, roger peppe <roger.pe...@canonical.com> wrote:
> It won't be possible to shard the transaction log.

Why not?

> The thing I'm trying to get across is: until we know one way or
> another, I believe it would be better to choose the (much) simpler
> option and use the (potential weeks of) dev time for other things.

We know it's a bad idea. Besides everything else I mentioned, there
are _huge_ MongoDB databases out there being that depend on sharding
to scale.. we're talking hundreds of machines. It seems very naive to
go with a model that loses the benefits of all the lessons the MongoDB
development team learned with those use cases, and the work they have
done to support them well.

We have been there in Canonical. Ask folks about the CouchDB story.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net